Roar jag 2-1 win over Jets, claim record

by AAP on Nov 19, 2011

0 comments | | print

Brisbane grabbed a slice of history with a come from behind 2-1 A-League victory over Newcastle on Saturday night.

Despite losing key trio Matt Jurman, Mitch Nichols and Kofi Danning to international duties, the Roar delivered when it mattered to equal Australian club sport's greatest unbeaten streak.

The win ensured Brisbane drew level with rugby league side Eastern Suburbs, now known as the Sydney Roosters in the NRL, having gone 35 matches without tasting defeat.

The Roosters set that mark 74 years ago, showing just how impressive this Roar outfit have been over the past two seasons.

The defending champions will get the chance to own the record outright when they host Perth Glory next weekend.

Brisbane coach Ange Postecoglou said the win, secured by an 83rd minute strike from substitute James Meyer, was well deserved despite his players being on the backfoot for much of the contest.

"It was a tough game coming down here and they worked very hard to stop us playing and were successful at that to a certain degree," Postecoglou said after the match.

"But I just thought it was a fantastic effort by the players not to give in and lose their self belief even when they were under pressure."

Newcastle opened the scoring on the stroke of halftime when striker Ryan Griffiths was able to sneak one past Michael Theoklitos, but it could've been much worse for the visiting side had the Roar goalkeeper not delivered a supreme performance.

The 30-year-old, who produced a string of top-shelf saves, kept Brisbane in the match long enough to allow team-mates Meyer (57m) and Henrique (83m) to steal the match and maintain their unbeaten record.

The Jets could be forgiven for believing they deserved at least a point from the match that attracted a crowd of 13,000.

They worked hard all night, attempting to disrupt Brisbane's brilliant midfield by playing a physical, up-tempo style - but that tactic ultimately backfired when they faded in the second half, allowing the Roar to pounce.

"The way we wanted to play we obviously wanted to put pressure on them but that's hard to do for 90 minutes especially against these guys," Newcastle skipper Jobe Wheelhouse told Fox Sports.

"I thought we were good for probably 60 minutes tonight. They weren't great. They'd admit that themselves. And we stuck it to them but lapses in concentration cost us."

The match was held up for several minutes in the second half as Newcastle's Ben Kennedy was stretchered from the field after an ugly incident.

Kennedy was felled by friendly fire, copping a stray knee to the face from defender Tarek Elrich, causing a suspected broken nose and bringing Jack Duncan on for his debut.

Theoklitos praised the fighting qualities of his team-mates.

"Full credit to our boys, we dug deep being one-nil down away from home," he said.

"We showed why we're the champion team that we are."