Delneri confirms he is leaving Juventus

by AFP on May 22, 2011

0 comments | | print

Luigi Delneri has confirmed he won't be Juventus coach next season after failing to guide them to either a trophy (or barring a miracle) a place in European competition next season.

The 60-year-old - who arrived this season after a successful spell with Sampdoria where he took them to fourth place and a Champions League qualifier spot last season - is likely to be replaced by former Juventus playing favourite Antonio Conte.

"I was informed by the club on Wednesday that there was going to be a change of coach," said Delneri on the eve of the final Serie A clash with Napoli.

"I wish whoever replaces me the best of luck, I hope for Juventus it is the right choice.

"I do not feel like a scapegoat and I leave with a clear conscience."

Juventus are seventh and need a series of results to go in their favour on Sunday if they are to even garner a place in the Europa League next season.

However, Delneri said he was proud of how the team had performed this season.

"I am proud of the squad and the manner in which we have worked together," he said.

"We could have done better but it is difficult to win something immediately when one is rebuilding a side.

"But obviously the Juventus board don't have the time to keep faith in that process. They are right because it is imperative to always fight in order to win."

Conte, a former Juventus captain and a member of the 1996 Champions League winning side, has impressed in taking Siena to promotion this season to Serie A.

However, the 41-year-old - a five-time Serie A winner as a player with 'The Old Lady' - said that nothing had been agreed with Juventus.

"I have not signed a contract. But it would be an honour to be approached by a great club such as Juventus."